Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Aches & Pains

As the temperature drops and the winds pick up for a late start to winter I find myself feeling more aches and pains of pregnancy. As I write this sentence, my mind drifts back to past posts and how it may seem to the reader that this journal is full of pregnancy complaints, so to make sure new readers realize the purpose of this journal I will explain. The intention of this blog is to keep track of all my thoughts and feelings (both physical and emotional) throughout this process so one day I can look back on it and remember what my first pregnancy was like. So, back to my most recent aches and pains. I started to get dull aches in my right hand last night which did not let up. It almost feels arthritic, and I remembered a few months ago I was doing my research on pregnancy and it said a symptom may be arthritis in the hands. Then I woke up at 4:00 am today in such back pain I was almost in tears. I changed positions numerous times with no relief, finally I just laid on my back and took deep breaths only to find that my back would spasm with each exhale. I must have found a better position at some point and dozed off for about 15-20 minutes before my alarm went off. I told myself I would bring my heating pad to work for my back, which of course I forgot. Ahhh, the joys!

I must tell the story of last Saturday night. We decided to go for dinner with another couple. I was extremely excited because we had not done this in months. They came over and we HAD to stay and watch the second half of a football game. Then we HAD to go to a restaurant with tv's so we could watch the Sioux game so we drove to the Green Mill bar, which was packed so we drove to the Applebee's bar, watched the game and ate. We then HAD to go to an establishment that was showing the pay-per-view UFC fight so we drove to Hooters......Yes I know some of you are thinking "J went to Hooters?" My battle had clearly been lost many hours before and we rode with the other couple so I didn't exactly want to complain. For those of you who don't know, I have refused to step inside a Hooter's restaurant/bar since I went to Hooter's in the Mall of America with my family back in elementary school. It tends to be a running joke that we should go to Hooter's when I'm around. Anyway, back to Saturday night, we arrived at Hooter's only to look through the windows to see a packed bar (yes!!) so we drove to Hooligans. This establishment was packed as well but we HAD to watch the fight! Of course there is no tables or chairs to sit on so we proceed to stand. I had the privilege to lean on a ledge at times. If I had ever doubted my pregnancy Saturday night really dug the stake into the ground. After about 45 minutes of standing/leaning I was exhausted physically, I couldn't stand anymore. Then the nausea started. The smell of alcohol seemed to swirl around me like cigarette smoke and the noise of the 21 year old girls behind me were really getting under my skin. Here's where I should note that the "big" fight hadn't even started yet!! I finally pulled Ty to the side and told him we needed to leave or I was going to throw up where I was standing. He went to go find a number for a cab, since we didn't drive. In the end our friends were nice enough to let us take their car home that night while they stayed to enjoy the fight. I believe I learned a valuable lesson from this fiasco; listen to my body, when Peanut has had enough, we've had enough!

Ty leaves today for Montreal, which he is very excited for! He returns on Tuesday to put up the Christmas lights on the house and then on Thursday I will attempt to make my first Thanksgiving meal. I am actually quite excited for this, I will be a mom shortly and to me moms need to know how to cook big family dinners. I hope I make the grade!

Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. -Faulkner

No comments: