Thursday, December 17, 2009

"Life isn't Fair"

During this time of year, one thinks of all the things to be thankful for. I am thankful I have a healthy boy after all we went through and all the unknowns before he entered the world but it is so difficult not to ponder the why's of the world. For example, in my line of work I see children with special needs on a daily basis and work directly with some of them. Well I worked with a boy who was born addicted to heroin, was adopted by a very loving family and is now doing well. I expected to see some significant behavior/cognitive/academic problems. Cognitively he is average and the only concern is lack of attention. One would think that when entering the world and being addicted to such a terrible drug not to mention all the hardships he (I'm sure) endured while in utero that he would have some cognitive impairment.

Perhaps I am being selfish and I should be (and I am) happy for this boy who is thriving after the difficulties he started out with. My heart hurts thinking of all the things I tried to do "by the books" and that mother did nothing by the books. I'm not sure where this post is going because my son is perfect in my eyes and always will be. It just goes back to the very harsh reality statement of "Life isn't fair"

Wow, what a nice holiday post! Haha. So to end on a positive note, I am so thankful for Camden and I wouldn't trade him or all the hardships we went through for anything in the entire world, he is everything I wanted and more, his smiley face is all I need.

No comments: